Saturday, July 08, 2006

Writing Things Down

by Shane

When I was a kid my parents always told me to keep a journal; they said it would be good for my kids one day. So I took their advice and started writing things down when I was a pre-teen. Here are some of my journal entries:

6 March 1985: Today I got up, went to school, came home, played with Adam and went to bed.
7 March 1985: Today I got up, went to school, came home, played with Adam and went to bed. Mom says the cat has diharrea.
.....
29 May 1985: Today I got up, went to school, came home, and went to bed. Sometimes Adam can be a big jerk.

In spite of how similar my journal entries were to Cheech and Chong's Sister Mary Elephant, sadly, they're real. (author's note: shortly after the 29 May entry I quit keeping a journal, indefinitely--I hold Adam direrctly responsible for that.)

I'm thankful to my parents for encouraging me to write these kinds of things down. Now whenever my kids tell me they're bored, I can whip out my journal and say "Bored, you don't know what bored is. Let me show you how boring things can really be."

Now I'm older and have more reason to write things down, but less time. And since I didn't develop good journal-writing habits when I was a child (see above), anything goes when it all comes out.

4 Comments:

At 2:18 PM, Blogger bug girl said...

Welcome to Blogdom, where we can exhibit our boring lives to the world. I think you were referencing my early journals. Only the names were different and my cat's "diharrea" was actually a swollen eye and leg.

 
At 11:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

shane, you should get your friends, like brigham, and whoever, to send you copies of letters you sent them on missions or whatnot. my friend mike used to send me the most hillarious letters, and i gave them all back to him a few years ago. he was pretty stoked to read them. stick them in a scrapbook, and...voila! a journal! and an interesting one to boot! unfortunately, i do not have any letters to give you. i think you sent me 2. maybe. dude, why didn't you ever write me letters, jerk! and i might have a couple from jen from her mission. but i think she was responding to my "stay away from that shane holmes character" letters. oops. sorry.
m.

 
At 1:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mine were early exposes of crushes on boys. Also, I had really mean girlfriends who always had some reason to be mad, and I was left to figure it out. "Jill wouldn't play with me. She said I should know why but I don't." Then I found out Debbie told her all these lies about things I said about Jill. And then Debbie came to me and told me Jill said all these mean things about me but then Jill and I figured it out and then we were mad at her together and deleted her name off our blood sisters contract.

 
At 5:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was something of a tomboy growing up, and rather pleased about it. I liked being picked first for all the teams or being the captain myself. So I was horrified when I found an old journal I kept for a few months in fourth grade and it was full of lists of my boyfriends. What boyfriends? My only interaction with boys was thrashing them in four-square or sporting more dirt than them. I was seriously dillusional.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home