Shane's Letter of Gratitude
At the end of 2006 I'm compelled to address a letter comprising things for which I am thankful. On a related note, for those of you who did not receive a Christmas letter from us (i.e. everyone), consider yourself on our mailing list.
Things I am thankful for:
- Airlines who find lost luggage within one day and deliver it to you.
- Phonetic languages.
- Tupperware--and associated competing products.
- Summer.
- Structures able to retain heat...and our home.
- Kids who say "Daddy, can we play video games?" (A phrase that always seems to be followed by "Can I have a turn?")
- Kids who go to bed without a fight.
- TV programs on DVD. (If we lived in a country where better technology were available, this entry would read "Tivo".)
- Pavement (when it's appropriately applied).
- Traffic laws (when they're followed).
- Albania. Living here makes me love everything else just a little bit more.
- The Paul McCartney song "A Wonderful Christmas Time". Hearing it makes every other musical work sound brilliant. Conversely, knowing of its success gives hope to every person who owns a cheap synthesizer.
- The Subculture link on the Fred Perry website.
- Countries that lack mechanisms to enforce copyright laws and the corresponding horde of appropriately priced media they produce.
- A country with such low standards that I can find steady (albeit poorly paid) employment in its government.
- A wife who politely encourages me to pursue a rock n' roll daydream.
- A wife who tolerates childishness.
- Songs that rhyme.
- Black t-shirts.
- Back-up power generators and water distillers.
- Public garbage cans.
- Public restrooms (clean or not, just so long as they exist).
- Spices other than dill, and garnishes other than parsley.
- Foods from the following locations: India, Pakistan, Iran, Lebanon, Thailand, China, Japan, and Mexico...or whatever country is responsible for bringing chips and salsa together.
- Non-communist countries that eat their stray dogs.
- Laws prohibiting small children from lighting firecrackers outside my house, all day.


2 Comments:
Here, Here. I second that. Although I am sure your reasons are more heartfelt than mine. I live in the usa.
You know what's sad? When I read this (beautiful) list, my only thought was about how my life would be OVER without my TiVo.
All praise TiVo.
Post a Comment
<< Home