Never Loved The Beatles
I love music. I love all kinds of music and have been guilty of playing, owning, or listening to every genre at one time or another. But I have never loved The Beatles. I don't hate them either, but I've never felt an ounce of Beatlemania surge inside me. Not for lack of trying--it just never worked out. I have never had the desire to listen to a full Beatles album, let alone own one. I have never had the desire to watch a Beatles movie or a show about the Beatles. I once bought an mp3'ed copy of all their albums on one disc and immediately stuck it in a drawer from whence it has never emerged. I felt so dirty.
I don't question their talent as musicians, but only in the same way I don't question Christina Aguilera's ability to draw a crowd or Bono's musical messiah complex. I don't wonder why people are attracted to them, but I don't acknowledge their abilities beyond those of any of their contemporaries, or any other noteworthy musician. Their music doesn't make me want to Twist and Shout, Hold Your Hand, or Come Together (and I hate Octopus' Garden--shame on you Ringo).
Say what you will about me--I never loved The Beatles. Ob la di, ob la da and goo goo ga choo.


6 Comments:
What are you, not American? How about the Beach Boys, do you like the Beach Boys? Listening to the Beach Boys makes me want to jam nails into my ears.
I can only listen to one Beach Boy song before i go absolutely insane. I can listen to 2 Beetles songs before i want to change the station (but at one tme when I owned about 3 tapes, one was a Beetles tape, one was a Bob Marely tape, and the third was a copy of a Grateful Dead tape, so I must admit that I did listen lovingly to the Beetles.) And I can't even stomach Kenny G and Yanni.
yeah, i feel the same way about the beach boys. and i can freely say that without fear of reprisal because none of my music junkie friends read this site...otherwise i'd get an earful for bad-mouthing the beach boys.
The beatles are just the backstreet boys of their era. I saw the footage of the screaming girls. The only contemporary equivalent is these boy wonder bands that have the pre-teens all a flutter. Give them thirty years and they will be remembered fondly the same way as the beatles.
i have big issues with the beatles - i too have never enjoyed em - my wife however had her brief phase and being much younger than some of us she has quite the library of beatles cds. the problem occurs when my ocd wont let me take them off my ipod (i dig having all our cds on it) but anytime i shuffle - without fail that damn ipod finds em all the time. -- by the way -- hello -- i just found your blog and love seeing your adventure in albania... the beach boys are great however.
whatever. this was all shane. i like the beatles. Jen
Post a Comment
<< Home