Wednesday, August 06, 2008

A Summer Day in Tirana

One day I decided to take Ainsley and Ollie to the local amusement park--when I say amusement park, picture a sad compilation of seven western-world carnival rides/games that were condemned circa 1983 and have barely been maintained over the past decade. Here's the story of our day out...

Upon arriving at the park (12:45 pm) we discover this area of Tirana is at the tail-end of one of its daily power outages. "Come back at 1:00. That's when the power comes back on." We come back at 1:00, only to be told the park closes for lunch at 1:00 and will reopen at 4:00. In typical Albanian style, I argue my way into the pathetic park and we ride three rides before the park does, in fact, close for lunch.



Feeling quite unfulfilled, we walk to another, nearby, less electric park...which is also closed for lunch.
Not wanting to let my children down, I take them to the exponentially more pathhetic park across from the President's house, which is always open, but has not been maintained/updated for decades.
After having all the fun we could (10 minutes later), Ollie used a nearby restroom and we headed on our way.
Although we knew the rules, Albania had won...it was a sad day for childhood fun. Oh well at least we have memories of EuroDisney.

5 Comments:

At 2:14 AM, Blogger liz j said...

LOVING the photos and commentary in the last few posts. You crack me up. And your kids are growing up so fast!

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Amber said...

love seeing all the pics- can't wait to actually see you all in person :)

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Reluctant Nomad said...

Hey guys...heard about your next stop from M. Will you be passing through Austria en route?

 
At 4:33 AM, Blogger An amazingly handsome couple with their even more beautiful children, if possible, and their daily adventures. said...

I can appreciate the public restrooms that they have at those parks and I know Hyrum would groove on them. I admire your persistence in finding playground bliss for your children. I can't believe it has already been three years. Wish we were still in Maryland to welcome you back!

 
At 2:18 AM, Blogger julie said...

i keep telling margaux she is really lucky living so close to disneyland. but she just looks at me and then asks to go on another ride. oh well, la la land for now! it's interesting reading about your adventures in another part of the world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home