Buildings of Tirana
Jen's friend June from Germany visited us last week. During her short week here, she managed to collect all the pictures of Albania that we've been too lazy (or otherwise distracted) to take ourselves. Of the 1000 pictures she took (no really, she took 1000 pictures), here's a sampling of the buildings...
Skenderbeg Square
The open-air produce market
The mayor of Tirana was formerly an artist. When he took over governing the city, he decided to brighten it up by painting many of the buildings along the main street. Here's a few of his works...
The former dictator of Albania created a "pyramid" in the center of Tirana wherein he was supposed to be buried and honored. He was. But shortly after his death the Eastern Bloc opened up, his body was exhumed, and his pyramid became a convention center/cell phone repeater.


4 Comments:
Those buildings are so awesome. I wish there were more buildings painted like this in the US.
I loved this colorful post. I think I didn't get to see a few of them because if I had I would have stayed forever in Tirana.
Those are some pretty amazing pictures!
LOVE the buildings! Makes me want to grab some paint and go a little berserk out here in shiny Walnut Creek.
Post a Comment
<< Home